For those of you coming from directories or services that mask my URL, I am located at http://intelligentash.blogspot.com/

***WARNING*** Some of the poetry on this site may be considered explicit or have adult themes. If you are easily offended, you may not want to view the content of this site.

December 05, 2004

I Once Was Myself (Tribute to Walt Whitman)



While looking at the bottom of my shoe, I whispered,
"Walt, you don't look so good lately."

I once was myself
but not knowing, opened my self
and read.
My host seduces me and opens me fuller
Fear fills me as I clutch for my veil,
Too late, I blush at my naked soul.
Fragile and timid my host grips me close
My senses engage...
I taste the sea foam from upon the ferry-
I hear the warble of the bird frantic for its mate-
I feel her hands from aft the blind groping
my sinew, my groin...
I smell the lilacs.
I see the leaves fall from the little boy's fists-
Each scene tugs till my flesh is full taut-
I falter, and am scattered.
Arteries pump blood, pump blood
into the leaves of grass.
I embrace my host fully.
And finally within the bowels of the earthworm
within the muck of the eddies
under the surge of the current
under the boot-soles of your feet
lies my soul; my host
my brother
Truly I become
a multitude
Fatally embraced and
embracing.

No comments: